Saturday, April 25, 2009

^ Above is my “guitar room”, which was originally going to be the “music” room, with a few mics, computer, piano set up, but there just wasn’t enough space.

SO, rundown of the gear I currently and sometimes use:

Guitars:
First and foremost, Fender American Highway1 Stratocaster (the one hanging up on the left):
2007 model, with the greasebucket circuitry, satin nitro finish (which, according to a certain person with an EJ strat, is not “real” nitrocellulose, haha) and custom pickguard, straplocks, knobs etc.
My main guitar, VERY nice feel and sound, though my home amp really doesn’t do it justice. The higher output single coils kinda lose that strat sparkle, but does help with the higher gain stuff I play.
The trem is set up to float, and hence kills a bit of the sustain. However, it still does everything I want it to, and more :).
Future upgrades: a proper shielding job (no factory EVER does it) and either Dimarzio Hot Rails in the bridge position, OR, if I somehow run into a lot of money, a set of EMG DG p/ups.

Next, Vester SFT-70A (hanging up on the right):
Interesting history to this one. I picked it up in this random second hand shop in the city for, uh, forgot the exact amount, but it was 2 digits. Brought it home, didn’t work at all. So, replaced wiring, pots (melted a few on account of my uncontrollable high temp soldering iron, also screwed up a few other things, hahaha. BUT, good learning experience) and sanded down the horrific green finish and varnished it slightly.
HSH config, which will be changed to just HH config later on. Er, not a great instrument, but for that little cost, pretty damn good to me, haha.
The floyd, god knows where it came from, but it’s as old as hell (I think it was made in the early 1990s. not old compared to other things, I know, but it’s as old as me :p), doesn’t really float properly, but it’s useable.
Mainly use it for the higher gain stuff that my strat doesn’t handle that well, quite a fun guitar to play around with.

Ibanez Artwood, 35ECE (or something of the sort). 2006? Model. Sitting in its case on the bottom left.
Acoustic/electric guitar, used many many times for shows etc. due to its XLR output. VERY convenient. Nice feeling neck, but cheap binding. Decent fretwork.
Thing about this dude, is its huge damn mood swings, haha. Very prone to changes in weather/temperature/humidity. So one day it’s nice a boomy, and the next, after a bit of rainfall, it suddenly decides to sound trebly.
Also, dunno if it’s the case or the guitar, but it smells good. That’s right, no typo. It SMELLS good. Heh.

Not pictured:
Starsun classical acoustic: very very first guitar. Very cool to play on sometimes due to its mellowness + twang.
Ashton AG131: very very first electric. It’s pretty much my experimental guitar now, took it apart a long time ago to see how stuff fits and works. Some parts siphoned off it.
Amps:
Roland Cube 15x: got this because of the power squeezer function, which can reduce the 15 watts down to 2 watts, nifty for home volume levels. Has acceptable, if very sterile, cleans. I run a Zoomgfx1 through it at home for the effects. Overall good practice rig.

When playing with friends (I have rich friends…):
Mesa Dual Recto: AWESOME high gain sounds. Any guitarist would know about the recto series.
Aaaaaand…

A Fender ’65 Reissue Twin Reverb. Ok, ok ok ok, this amp, has the most god-like clean tones I have ever heard (in person of course). Brilliant, amazing. Also damn expensive.
So, that’s the gear I normally use.

This blog will probably get a name change, since most of my blogs from now on will be music/guitar related.



Anyway, holidays are almost finished. I’m happy a did a fair amount of work as well as relaxation, so it’s all good. However, there is still quite a bit of work left…
School. Will be terrible. Stupid year 12.


As always, take care.

No comments:

Post a Comment